Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Fresh From the Farm is the Way to Go


I love summer. I love the hot summer sun, gardening, going to the beach, barbecuing, warm sultry nights, walking in the woods, and - most of all - the lovely, fresh fruits and vegetables found at farms and farm markets.

The gardener in me loves to pick fresh tomatoes off the vine, the never ending supply of zucchini, and bright tasting blackberries nibbled from the the bushes. This year we're trying for cucumbers again - if we can keep that rascally gopher out of the yard. He seems to have a true passion for my cucumbers.

But my very favorite thing is to go to a farm or one of the local farm markets to

gather those sweet fruits and essential vegetables that I don't have the room (or patience) to grow at home.

And New Jersey is still packed with great farms and markets to satisfy any whim or craving. Interestingly, farms are making a come back, thanks in large part to the return to green we all seem to be feeling. Bouts of bacteria tainted produce that's been shipped in have heightened the desire to return to local choices for our produce. It's a nice thing - for the farmers, the economy, and our tables.

Two of my favorite spots are the Rutgers Garden Farm Market on Ryders Lane in East Brunswick. Nestled in a field among the trees, this market offers a wide selection of goods - not just produce either. I picked up some terrific Kielbasi from Stefan's Pure Blends while I was there, although I was too late for the bread from the Village Bakery - he had sold out already. You can bet I'll be there earlier this week! There were some amazing sheep cheeses from Valley Shepherd Creamery. I didn't even know New Jersey had any place that made cheese! It was a wonderful adventure that I look forward to attending again this week.

My other favorite stop for fresh and fabulous is Terhune Orchards. They have an amazing selection of pick-your-own fruits and veggies. Cindy and I always run down for apple picking in September, but there are some outstanding picks early in the season - including blueberries! Not always having time for the thrill of the hunt, their farm market offers a full selection of the farms finest. The staff is always wonderfully helpful and knowledgeable. It's a wonderful place to visit and learn and spend a sunny summer day.

I hope you'll make it a point to go local when you can. Maybe I'll see you at one of the hot farm spots this summer. Feel free to share any of your favorites in the comments section below. Right now, I'm going to go grab a Jersey Fresh Peach and have a healthy, summer munch!

No comments: