(This is an edited version of an article that appeared in our newsletter a few years ago. It seemed appropriate to run for Fire Cider Day)
Autumn is rolling through, and the chill of the changing season is creeping in more and more. With the fluctuating weather, flu's, colds, and a general feeling of ennui become more prevalent . There's an age old remedy you may have heard about. It uses the many healthful benefits of apple cider vinegar, onions, garlic, ginger, horseradish and honey to kick start your immune system and fight off the nasties. It's an easy remedy to make at home, useful for your health and for cooking! It's Fire Cider!
You can find my general recipe for fire cider here. There's also a link for a great video from Rosemary Gladstar, the first herbalist to publicly, freely, and openly share her fabulous recipe.
Fire Cider has a biting, tangy sweet flavor. And it's easily adaptable to your personal preferences. Once you make your fiery cider blend, what can you do with it beside fend off a cold? Oh so very much! It's unique flavor makes it a great addition in many recipes.
- Use it when making a vinaigrette dressing. It adds a nice warmth with just that little touch of sweetness.
- Making some Bloody Mary's? Add a splash of this fiery blend.
- When I'm making taco's or macaroni & pasta, I like to add a splash to the meat to boost the flavor.
- It is fabulous as part of a marinade!
- Use the fire cider as part of an amazing barbecue sauce.
- Add a splash with a little extra honey to some seltzer and you have a surprisingly refreshing and revitalizing soda.
Let your imagination go and you can find dozens of ways to make fire cider a healthy and tasty part of your cooking routine. Fight off the flu and kick up the flavor with some home made Fire Cider.