Saturday, October 4, 2008

Count Down to Herb Day - A Touch of Polish with Horsetail

Horsetail, also known as shavegrass, dates back to prehistoric times. It's a basic plant, whose delicate looking stems are sturdier than you'd imagine. Don't let it's simple appearance fool you - it is a true work horse that is packed with silica crystals.

Although it prefers damp, swampy areas, it's quite adaptable to a variety of soil and light conditions. I have small stand of these interesting reeds growing in my garden, and their stately presences is a real treat. But they can get to be invasive, so I have to watch these wondering wonders.

Shavegrass was once use the sander of choice for wood workers and pewter smiths. Just gather a bunch of the reeds and tie the ends together and you have a fine sander that gives wood and metals an beautiful patina. I've seen walking sticks that have been polished with horsetail that were so smooth and silken to the touch, it was hard to believe a simple herb did this. Whenever I chip a nail while I'm gardening

(which is more often than I'd like to admit), I grab a piece of horsetail and use it as a nail file.

The silica properties in Horsetail also make it a wonderful addition to hair rinses. It's a key ingredient on our Mela Tae Bright and Moon Hair Rinses.

I've never tried using Shavegrass in a tea, although it is said that it is said that it is a good diuretic and antispasmodic.

To find out more about this herb that adds a dramatic touch to your garden, check out Well Sweep Herb Farm, or A Modern Herbal.

No comments: