Thursday, January 28, 2016

Let Us Toast with Tea

Delightfully, and appropriately, January is Hot Tea Month.  The weather is chilly, and it's time to get cozy, and nothing soothes a chilled spirit and body than a cup of hot tea.
 I love tea all year round, but it's especially inviting in the winter. An absolute favorite of mine is chai, a spicy blend with cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, clove and all spice, traditionally made with warm milk. Add a dash of chocolate and it is heaven after an afternoon of shoveling snow. Throw in a little Pumpkin Syrup and you won't be able to talk to me until I've finished the whole cup. I'll be in my happy place.

Tea has been enjoyed for thousands of years. It is the most widely drunk beverage in the world (coffee is moving up as a close contender, but tea still wins at the moment).

Not only is tea a spirit lifter, it is a beverage packed with healthful benefits. All of the varieties are!

The most typical and popular teas are green, black, white, oolong,  and pu-erh. These are filled with ECGC, a powerful antioxidant. They do have caffeine, but in different strengths compared to coffee. Herbal teas can add a wide variety of healthful benefits. Chamomile can be calming and help with sleep. Mint and ginger is refreshing and aids digestion. Hibiscus is very refreshing and can help reduce blood pressure.

And tea offers a myriad of magical options. Add fruits like pineapple or raisins, add a kick of heat with peppercorns, dabble in reds or blacks or blends, include a splash of honey or sugar or milk... the list goes on and on.

Mountain Rose Herbs and Ducky Life are two of my favorite companies to purchase loose leaf tea. I even have a soft spot for Teavana. My absolute favorite way to make tea is with herbs from my garden - chamomile, lemon balm, mint, lavender, roses, Jersey Tea, Oswego tea or Mondara (bee balm), holy basil, and my favorite lemon verbena. I just pick them in season and dry them to enjoy year round.

Celebrate Hot Tea Month this January... and keep the fun going through out the year.
Oswego tea or monardo,
 
Oswego tea or monardo,
Oswego tea or monardo,

No comments: