Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Have You Gotten Caught - Reading that is!

A lovely spring day, a beautiful garden, a hammock and a good book - does that sound heavenly or what? Books can transport you to other times and places. They can educate and inspire. Books can make you laugh, cry, dream and sigh.

May is Get Caught Reading Month. Not reading Facebook - but a real book. (Kindles and Nooks are good too.) I grew up in a home filled with books. There were overstuffed book cases in every room. My home now is much the same. Mysteries, science fiction, science, romance, adventure, children's stories, poetry, biographies, how to's - if it looks interesting, it winds up on our shelves. We've got hardcover and softcover. There's one whole book case for herb guides and books on aromatherapy, herbal studies and herbal home care.

This doesn't even count the magazines we have kept!

Get Caught Reading Month is the chance to recognize the amazing gift that reading can be. I always make sure to compliment children and young people that I see reading books and magazines. And it's a wonderful conversation starter with people (unless they are reading at that moment. Then leave them alone and let them read!)

These are some of my current favorite reads.

The Harry Potter books. That's the books - not the movies. I do like the movies, but the books are so much better and intricate. I've read them all at least 3 times.

China Bayles Series by Susan Wittig Albert. China Bayles, the lead character, lives in a small town in Texas and runs an herb shop. She has interesting friends and seems to find murder and mayhem about her. Susan writes with detail and clarity, but with a inviting, inclusive manner that makes you a part of the adventure. Herbs play an integral part of the story. And there's the herb shop. I have to admit, it's the shop of my dreams.

The Brother Cadfael mysteries. These historical murder mysteries feature Brother Cadfael, a Welsh Monk in Shrewsbury, England in the 12th century. He is the abbey herbalist and has a keen eye for clues.

Every now and then I find myself going back to James Herriot stories, a British country vet. These stories make me laugh and cry and love animals all the more.

Richard Scarry books and Animalia by Graeme Base. Not by myself, mind you. But these are my favorite books to read and give to children. No. Really.
Have you been caught? And what are you reading now?  Me? I'm going to grab my copy of The Essential Herbal Magazine and head out to the hammock. You can catch me there.

No comments: