Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Joy of Well Sweep Herb Farm


Several times a year, including in the winter, I take a pilgrimage to one of the most interesting and beautiful places in New Jersey. Well Sweep Herb Farm is one of those amazing spots that you can get lost in, and I love getting lost there.

I don't remember quite how I discovered Well Sweep (and yes, it is Well Sweep, named after the water fetching devise for the well). I think it was on the Internet about 3 years ago. In search for a close location where I could look over the herbs I was studying, I came across what sounded like a slice of heaven on earth. Little did I know the education I would get, and the delights I would find.

The real treasure of Well Sweep isn't the multitude and vast selection of herbs and perennial plants, it's the
Hyde family that runs the farm. Louise is chief cook and bottle washer, charged with running the events the farm offers throughout the year. Last time I was there she made a wonderful Rose Geranium punch. I'm still trying to duplicate it at home. Cyrus is the herb aficionado. You can always find him in the gardens, and he gladly give advice, history, and lore of the plants you can see that he clearly adores.

Well Sweep and the Hyde family have been honored by the Herb Society of America, the International Herb Association, as well as the New York Botanical Garden. Their plants range from the everyday basil to the exotic frankincense.

If you like herbs, or plants, or gardening, Well Sweep is a stop you must make. It's educational, peaceful, and a true celebration of the wonder of herbs.

1 comment:

Steve sculpts critters said...

Herbs look great in the garden, but I it when someone sprinkles a bunch on my food.
Like someone went by with a lawnmower or something.