Saturday, April 12, 2008

Lovely Lawn tells me it's Spring


For some people, striving for the perfectly manicured lawn is a life long project. They want each little blade the same color and height, densely packed, looking almost imitation. Well, I'm not most people.

One of my favorite signs of spring is all the little surprises my lawn shows me as it begins to wake from it's winter nap. Oh there are little problems; wild mustard, can tend to get to be a problem. But within the problem spots, there are the multitudes of treasures that I find so many uses for.

Wild violets grow in profusion under my apple trees and along the fences. Their foliage is lush, but the real treasure will appear in a week or so as the pretty little purple flowers show their faces. Violets make wonderful tea, a spectacular jelly, and add a lovely hint of fragrance when dried and ground and added to powders.

My next favorite is dandelions. While others cringe and practically go into convulsions when they see these yellow beauties, I delight in knowing we'll have some terrific spring salads with dandelion greens. Plus I use the leave in a skin tonic that helps reduce freckles. The flower can be used to make wine, added to salads, or made into a jelly. One quick way to make dandelion wine is to collect a quart jars worth of the yellow flower petals only. Wash them and pat dry. Put them into the jar and then fill the jar with a pleasant white wine. Make sure the wine covers the petals. Cover and put in a cool, dark place for 3 to 4 weeks, giving it a light shake every couple of days. After a few weeks have past, strain out the petals and you have a mild dandelion wine!

Chickweed, another nightmare for other homeowners, is collected and dried and used in body butters and infusions throughout the year. So is plantain. Moss is just so soft, I love to pet it. Wild strawberry leaves and fruits I use in teas.

The grass may be greener on the other side of the fence - but mine is so much more interesting!

No comments: