Friday, March 7, 2008

There's Something About the Irish


March is one of my favorite months. It's the month the brings you the in's and out's like a lion or lamb. It's the month that daylight savings time begins. It's the month that holds within it the promise of spring and increasing sunshine, of lovely little flowers and plants pushing their way through the soil. It's my birthday month! And it is the month where everyone, no matter their race, creed or color, can make the claim of being Irish and the only repercussion is a hearty pat on the back and a welcoming smile.

There's just something about the Irish. Just mention "Irish" and stereotyping, however un-PC it is, makes many people think of: beer and bars; bawdy songs or haunting ballads; parades; green; comhrá (that's talk in Irish); bagpipes; beer; storytelling; and a general joy that warms like the upcoming spring sun.

I've often wondered why that is?

Certainly, Ireland hasn't always had it very easy - wars and disputes, starvation and poverty. Doesn't sound like a jolly spot, does it? There are volumes of websites and books on Irish history. In fact New Jersey has a very large population boasting Irish decent. In fact, there's a book - The Irish in New Jersey - written by Dermott Quinn, that talks to this very point. But all you need do is look at the grace and elegance of the land, the friendly faces of the people, and hear that lilt in their speech, and your heart open up like a flower.

This enchantment with the Emerald Isle and her people has been with me my whole life. My dear old sainted grandmother, Katherine Bridge nee Dalton Papp, may she rest in peace, was born on March 17th. She was a woman who enjoyed life immensely. It was because of her I took a shine to my Irish heritage.

So, through out my life, I've gravitated to all things Irish. Ireland is one of the Celtic nations, having once been home to the Celts. I've been to Ireland - although it was many years ago - and was enthralled with the history and beauty. I'm part of an Irish theatre company. I like potatoes! I follow the Celtic wheel of the year and have a real love of the land that many Irish share. Some of my dearest friends are in an Irish musical group called Croi na mBan (A Woman's Heart) . And I'm a partner in Celtic Chairde Creations.

Chairde means friend in Irish. And my business partner, Cindy, is one of my oldest and dearest friends (oldest as in I've known her a long time - not that she's old). We went to college together, were and still are involved with Irish theatre, and we both have Dalton's in our lineage (althgouh we don't think we're related). That's where the Chairde comes from.

So you see, there really is something about the Irish. And this is the month to celebrate and discover just what that something is.

No comments: