Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Revenge of the Sock Monster

We all have them. Those lonely singles that frustrate us no end. Where did the other one go? It was probably eaten by that most insidious of all beasts - the sock monster.

I have a bag of single socks, collected in hopes of a mate turning up eventually. Or they are there because I've forgotten I've recycled the mate because it had holes or was torn. But there is something that keeps me from throwing those single socks out. Which is good, because there are so many things we can do with them.

  • Use that single sock for a rag is an obvious one. Make a nice little dusting or polishing mitt.
  • Make a cat toy. Stuff the toe of a small sock with catnip. Tie a tight knot or two above the herbs. Cut the top part into strips and toss it to your cat. They'll love you for it.
  • I remember making lots of sock puppets when I was little. Sometimes I didn't wait for a mismatched pair, much to my mothers chagrin. All you need are buttons, ribbon, felt, glue and some imagination.
  • Cut socks into strips and use as garden plant ties. I like to leave long ends to be tossed about in the breeze to help deter critters and birds. That doesn't always work but it looks pretty.
  • Use them to cover bottles and jars. Bottles of oil or syrup can leave sticky rings. Slip a sock over the bottom of the bottle to catch drips. Replace with another sock when it gets messy and just wash the old one!
  • You can also use it as a glass or bottle cozy.
  • Fill with rice or flax seed. Sew the end closed and you have a wrist wrest.
  • And my absolute favorite. Make sachets. Fill old socks with your favorite scents. This time of year I have lots of pine needles so I fill one with crushed or cut pine needles. Tie off or so the end and put in drawers or linen closets. I like to tuck them in to sofa corners so it smells nice when you sit down. You can use lavender, lemon verbena or dried lemon peel, rosemary, rose petals or any combination that makes you happy. You can also toss these in to the dryer to add some extra scent.
Reef loves his Catnip Sock

So have a snack every now and then, old sock monster. I'm ready for you.

What do you use old socks for?

No comments: