Friday, October 22, 2010

The Colonial style Pumpkin Pudding Experiment

Well, it happened. The pumpkin fever has come over me and the experimentation has begun. I warned you.

The other day I had picked up a little sugar pumpkin, about 3.5 to 4 pounds, nicely shaped. It has been sitting on the table, reminding me that Halloween is fast approaching.

Last night was the first night of the full moon and there was a definite chill in the air. As I walked by the little pumpkin, I remembered my Colonial Pumpkin pudding recipe. Perfect! I thought, scooping up the little fellow and dashing to the kitchen.

Husband, cats and dog were wise enough to clear the way.

It didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped, but check out the recipe and results below to see for yourself.

Colonial Whole Pumpkin Pudding

  • One 4 to 6 pound sugar pumpkin
  • 6 eggs
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tsp molasses
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 2 tbs butter

This is the basic recipe. Usually, when I find a new recipe I stick to it the first time around. Then, if I like it enough, I'll play with it the next time to make it a little more me. I like playing with my food, but more about that another day.

Prep the pumpkin as if making a jack-o'lantern.

In a separate bowl or large measuring cup, mix all of the ingredients except the butter.

Pour into the pumpkin, careful not to over fill (that's something I learned by overfilling last night).

Top with the butter in a few pats and put the pumpkin top on.

Place in a large baking dish and place in the oven.

Bake at 350F for about 1 1/2 hours until the mixture has set.

Let stand and cool for about 10 - 15 minutes.

Serve from the pumpkin, scraping up the pumpkin meat to go along with the pudding. Should serve about 6 people.


The project wasn't a complete success. It took longer for the pudding to set then indicated. I took the top off for the last 1/2 hour and that seemed to do the trick. I did overfill which made for some spillage.

And it really wasn't very pretty....
But it was pretty yummy! Especially with some ice cream!


More experimentation to come.

Next up - carving!

No comments: