Friday, March 19, 2010

Suddenly Spring

What a difference a week can make. Last weekend, the east coast (and here in New Jersey) was battered bitterly by wind and rain. Very "March like a lion" type of weather. But the last few days, and into this weekend, Mother Nature gave us the wonderful gift of sunny, warm, bright, soul lifting weather. Thoughts suddenly turn to spring, which officially arrives tomorrow, Saturday, March 20.

This gift puts us in mind of frolicking in the garden, pulling out the tank tops and tees, forgoing jackets and reveling in the spring time. My advice - don't do it! Well, a little but not to the extent that our winter weary spirits are telling us to.

Now is the season of the cold and flu. Our eagerness to banish the winter can make us let our defenses down to soon. Trust me on this one. Even as I write this I'm battling a cold (so far, it's a tie but I think I'll win). So though I may go out in the warmth of the day and do a little yard cleaning, I'll resist the urge to pull out the seeds and full on garden equipment and have at it. I'll still wear long sleeves, though they may be lighter than my winter wool sweaters. And I'll keep my neck covered up, since so many cough and cold seem to emanate from this area. Instead, I'll sip my elderberry syrup and start to bring the spring inside.

This is the perfect type of weather to help air out the house and chase away the trapped in staleness. It may not be the full on spring cleaning attack. Consider it the first foray of the battle.

Just opening the windows and letting the air circulate helps freshen things up. I also like to simmer some mint - either a handful of dried mint on a very low simmer on the stove, or a few drops of essential oil in a diffuser - to brighten the air and chase away any germs that might be looking for a new home. I also spray our Mint Ceo Brionglóid (Dream Mist) on the linens to open up our breathing while we sleep.

The carpets will get a good vacuum too. This is my favorite recipe for a fresh smelling carpet deodorizer (which the carpet really needs after last weekends soppy mess).

  • Sprinkle plain baking soda on rugs or upholstery. Let sit for 10 to 30 minutes, then vacuum. To add some extra punch, take a large jar and fill with baking soda. Add a few drops of lemon or orange essential oil, then cover and shake. Let sit for at least 24 hours before using. If you don't have essential oil, you can add dried lemon rind or dried orange rind and let sit for at least a week or grind it up and add it. The baking soda will then be infused with the citrus scent and add an extra uplifting note when sprinkled and vacuumed.

Do take some time to revel in natures glorious weather, but don't get carried away. That will be coming soon enough!



No comments: