Monday, April 6, 2009

Bring on the Bay!

I've always used bay leaves. They've been a part of our kitchen for as long as I can remember. They were tossed into sauces, stews and soups as a matter of course. But until I started reading up on this innocuous leaf, I never real thought about it. To tell the truth, I didn't even know if it added any flavor to all of those things I tossed it into.

But since Bay Laurel is Herb of the Year, I've taken a little more time to get to know it. The scent of bay is enchanting. It is said that the priestess of Delphi sat above burning bay laurel so the fumes would increase her prophetic visions. Me, I just like

to take a good sniff. This simple leaf is said to clear your mind allowing greater clarity. It is also calming and great for stress relief. I have a small sachet of a few leaves under my pillow which I find especially useful after a long hard day of work. The sweet yet spicy scent is also said to help respiration, which is another benefit that gives me a great nights sleep.

This ancient herb is also a symbol of protection. You can easily find bay leaf wreaths at places like Well Sweep Herb Farm, florists or other gift shops. You can find them most often during the holiday season, but a special scent like this is appropriate all year round.

I'll keep you informed of my discoveries of the lovely bay - and feel free to let me know about yours.

No comments: