Sunday, June 8, 2008

Snappy Salad for a Steamy Summer Day


First, I have a confession... I watch the Disney Channel. Yes, I'm a grown woman with grown children, but sometimes I just need harmless brain candy. You know, something to focus your eyes on that requires no thought or processing.

They have a segment called Pass the Plates, which actually has some interesting and unique recipes from around the world. I was watching an episode about banana's that got me thinking. The recipe the talked about was Durban Curried Banana Salad. I'm not fond of curry, but the inspiration for creation struck.

So here's my nutritious, very different, summer salad for a hot day.
________________________________________
Spinach & Banana Salad


For the salad, you'll need ....
  • 1 medium, ripe banana, cut into 1/2 to 1 inch slices
  • 1 cup of baby spinach leaves
  • 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
  • a hand full of pine nuts (optional)

For the dressing, you'll need...
  • 4 tablespoons Hotpricot Jam (apricots and hot peppers). You can also use 4 tablespoons apricot jam and add a dash of hot sauce or a small amount of diced hot pepper of your choice.
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • salt and pepper to taste

Toss the salad ingredients together. In a glass bowl or glass measuring cup, warm the apricot jam on low for about 1 minute. Watch it as microwave temperatures vary. Carefully remove the bowl (use a pot holder as the glass will be hot).
Whisk the jam to keep in lose.
Pour the jam over the salad and toss.
Next add the yogurt to the salad and toss.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
__________________________________

I know it sounds a little strange, but it was really good. Surprised even me! Sweet and savory, warming and refreshing all at the same time.

For the original recipe, you can go to Disney Channel Pass The Plate and click on South Africa. And if you've got any unusual recipes you'd like to share - feel free!


No comments: